Supercomputers, fishing for information

Guy Sotomayor Jr ggs at shiresoft.com
Tue Nov 8 11:08:16 CST 2016

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 8:47 AM, Jon Elson <elson at pico-systems.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/07/2016 10:31 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>>> Oh, you can get it -- but be prepared for a large hassle.
>>>
>>> A former neighbor had a 440V 3-phase Italian lathe in his backyard shop,
>>> among other toys.  After he was laid off from his aerospace job doing
>>> machining it was how he made his living.  He was a very handy person
>>> to know :-)
>>>
>>> mcl
>>>
>> I have two 3-phase machines in my shop (Bridgeport mill and Sheldon lathe) and run them each off a properly-sized VFD. 2-phase in, 3-phase out, plus variable speed and dynamic braking.
>>
>> Jon
>>
> And, of course, that is really SINGLE-PHASE power on 2 wires, just to save anybody the trouble of correcting my error.

I’m looking to have to do something to get 3-phase for the IBM 4331 gear.  I haven’t quite added up the power requirements yet but I’m guessing its going to be in the 10-15kVA range.  Since the power to all of the gear is really split between 3 loads (string of 4 3340 drives, 3803 control unit + 2 3420 tape drives and 2821 control uint + 1403 printer + 2540 card reader/punch) I need to figure out if it’s best to have one big converter or 3 smaller ones.  It’s unlikely that I’d be running all of the peripherals at once.  The 4331 itself runs off of single phase 220v.

TTFN - Guy