HP Vectra CS Portable

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:32:35 CDT 2016

http://hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=219

Speaking of the HP Vectra keyboard. This portable Vectra here has a *very*
similar keyboard to the one that I was mentioned earlier in the keyboard
thread. I'd imagine it's of the same ilk.

Something about the design of these old "slab" portables has always been
interesting to me. I know Dell has made a few "portables" post 2000 that
are much larger and more of a "portable desktop replacement". I've seen
them include somewhat-nicer keyboard with laptops to distinguish them (I'm
thinkin' of the Thinkpad and some HP elite laptops). However, I haven't
seen any modern machines ('cept luggables) that include "real" keyboards
like this Vectra, Compaq, and others managed to do in the 80's.

Also I love this photo. I could write 10 different short stories about
what is *REALLY* going on this promotional photo:

http://hpmuseum.net/images/VectraPortableCS_1987-PromoPhoto-60.jpg

Manager   = Blaine Jones
Scientist = Janice Thornwinkle

[Scene A]
Blaine: Once I copy your research to this disk it'll prove that your
research has no merit. We are probably going to shut the project down.
Janice: Really sir?! We just about cured cancer here!

[Scene B]
Blaine: I just know you are going to spill some of that blue crap in those
beakers on this new machine. I bet I can back up all your data on this
floppy alone. Then I'm taking this laptop back to my office to watch porn.
It's got CGA, after all.
Janice: What? No. I never.. I mean...

[Scene C]
Blaine: Well, since this is your last day. I'll need a copy of that graph.
Janice: Hmm? (I think I could kill him with this mechanical arm thing.)

.... and so forth....

-Swift