Keyboards and the Model M (was Re: NEC ProSpeed 386)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:50:01 CDT 2016

On Tue, 31 May 2016, Swift Griggs wrote:
> 1. The Logitech Orion Spark G910 with Romer-G switches
> 2. The CM Storm Quickfire Pro with MX Blue switches
> 3. The Razer Blackwidow with green switches

Ahhh, and my anti-keyboard list. These three are supposed to be wonderful.
I found them not-so-much-wonderful-as-pathetic:

1. 1990's era Dell "QuietKey" keyboards. Neither quiet nor comfortable.
2. The so-called "Happy Hacker" keyboard. I didn't care for the feel at
   all. However, they make a Sun version, so bully to them for that!
3. Every rubber dome keyboard ever made == Garbage (IMO).

Also, there were some late 1990 model HP keyboard (rare and hard to find)
which were right up there with the Model M but had a lighter weight. I
remember that one came with a high-end Vectra workstation. I saved one
from the dump that I used for years. I really liked it's design (it had
grey keys and a beige body). It had no Windows key and the keyweight was
amazing. I wish I'd kept it around. The cord got worn out, and I thought
"Oh well, I have my Model M's." Mistake, really.

-Swift