Pascal/8002 or other compilers for Tek 8002 dev. system?

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Fri May 20 01:22:08 CDT 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Eric Smith <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:
> the Tektronix DAS 9100 logic analyzer is Z80 based, and
> contains many ROMs, mostly 8KB MK36000 series masked ROMs and MCM68764
> EPROMs, but only one ROM appears to contain much actual Z80 code. That
> 8K ROM is labeled "INTERP" and contains a bytecode interpreter.
> Apparently all the other ROMs are full of bytecode.  The bytecode does
> not match the UCSD p-code nor the ETHZ P4 p-code. I've started
> disassembling it, but haven't yet learned too much.

Volume 1 of the service manual confirms that most of the software in
the DAS 9100 is written in Pascal and interpreted. Since the p-code
doesn't match UCSD or ETHZ, I still suspect that it was compiled using
the Pascal/8002 compiler from Pascal Development Co., but I'm not
optimistic about finding a copy of that compiler or even the
documentation for it.

I enjoyed doing a little bit of reverse-engineering of the bytecode
interpreter, but I don't think I'll pursue it any further.