Windows 1.0 For DEC Rainbow

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed May 18 10:38:39 CDT 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Jerome H. Fine <jhfinedp3k at compsys.to>
wrote:

> >Warner Losh wrote:
>
> I have it on floppies, but no easy way to read those floppies onto a
>> networked computer...
>>
>> Warner
>>
>> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Pontus Pihlgren <pontus at update.uu.se>
>>>
>> wrote:

>>> Have you seen:
>>>
>>> http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?28472-Rainbow-Windows
>>>
>>> maybe getting a hold of Jeff "PrintStar" Armstrong could be a start.
>>>
>>> Do you know anyone who has a older computer with a 5 1/4" HD floppy
> drive?
>
> While a 64-bit Windows 7 system will not run PUTR by John Wilson from dbit,
> even a 32-bit Windows XP system can do so.  Since the Rainbow used an RX50
> floppy drive, PUTR is able to read RX50 type media and copy the image to a
> hard disk file which can then be attached to an e-mail and sent anywhere.

Does PUTR run on FreeBSD? I can DD the floppies on FreeBSD w/o an issue
because the RX-50's or the TEAC FD-55's that I have work just fine. I just
don't
know what the current state of play is wrt interchange formats actually is.
I have
the Rainbow in the basement, and could setup a kermit server and copy the
files
over one at a time. I haven't peeled back the covers beyond the disks that
have the labels on them.

Sadly, I have no windows machines in this house, and haven't for quite some
time.

Warner