Titlers, Switchers, Paintboxes, Paint Apps and Old Broadcast Equipment

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue May 3 10:56:59 CDT 2016

Back in the early 90's I remember that many times I'd see a print
advertisement for a Video Toaster or a new genlock card, they'd say things
like "features you'd have to pay thousands for in a professional paintbox
or titler!" I always wondered what they were talking about, since I'd
never seen how broadcast was done back then (and still don't know). So,
I'm really talking about the tech of the 80's (since that's what the
marketing folks were referring to, I assume).

Here's what I could find that I'm speculating were the "competition" of
the time:

The Quantel Paintbox:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantel_Paintbox

Superpaint running on a DG Nova 800
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpaint

The Bosch FGS 4000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oyGaEu7D7s

These are about the only ones I could find. Does anyone know of any
others?

Also, here are my favorite paint and 2D animation programs of yore. If you
guys have others that you loved and remember, what were they?

DOS

1. Deluxe Paint II Enhanced
2. PC Paintbrush
3. Autodesk Animator
4. Paul Mace's GRASP
5. Deluxe Paint Animation

Amiga

1. Photogenics
2. Photon Paint
3. TVPaint
4. Brilliance
5. Disney Animation Studio

Sorry, I didn't use the Mac enough to form any favorites, though I did
love Fractal Design Painter (now Corel Painter).

-Swift