Nice LAB11 brochure.

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon May 2 15:21:09 CDT 2016

> On May 2, 2016, at 3:59 PM, Mattis Lind <mattislind at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yet another nice color brochure.
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96935524/Datormusuem/lab11.pdf
>
> Has anyone seen a VR20 in real? Rather interesting to be able to do a red
> and green X/Y screen based on different energy levels. Someone care to
> explain how that works?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetron.  The idea is that there are two layers, and a high voltage beam pokes through the first to activate the second.

I think Tektronix made monitors of this type, but apparently GE invented them.  I remember hearing about that technology in the 1970s; I never actually saw one in the wild (from any manufacturer).

> If I read the fine print on the back correctly (and comparing with the
> others) I would guess that this brochure is from 1971.

Assuming that 00771 is a date code, yes.  The cover photo is interesting (PDP11 with PDP12 color scheme!) but the console looks like an LA30.  I didn't know those were out in 1971.  The first (and fortunately only) one I encountered was in 1974.

	paul