MiST - Amiga ST FPGA + intro

Geoffrey Oltmans oltmansg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:59:13 CDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com>
wrote:

> http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96
>
> I recently picked up one of these devices. I'll apologize in advance if
> you folks have already had a discussion about the MiST. Basically, it's an
> FPGA that's capable of emulation (for lack of a better term) of many
> platforms on a hardware level. I only got mine about two weeks ago, and I'm
> still sifting through a ton of material and focused mainly on the Amiga and
> ST platforms (stuff I played with as a pre-teen and teen). I have to say,
> so far it's pretty awesome.

I don't mean to detract from people's enthusiasm about the FPGA emulations
of these older systems... I have gone back and forth over getting something
like the MiST or minimig myself but I always come back to it being a
facsimilie of the the real hardware, but it's just as expensive and as
uncommon as the real hardware (granted you can emulate more than one), and
that the software emulation of the various systems that you mentioned are
in many cases very, very good that I have a hard time justifying the
purchase of one. Different people like different things of course and I'm
not discouraging anyone that wants one...I often think about this in the
context of real article vs software emulation as well. Are these better,
the same as or worse than the software emulation options commonly
available?