MiST - Amiga ST FPGA + intro

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 11:18:39 CDT 2016

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

I recently picked up one of these devices. I'll apologize in advance if
you folks have already had a discussion about the MiST. Basically, it's an
FPGA that's capable of emulation (for lack of a better term) of many
platforms on a hardware level. I only got mine about two weeks ago, and
I'm still sifting through a ton of material and focused mainly on the
Amiga and ST platforms (stuff I played with as a pre-teen and teen). I
have to say, so far it's pretty awesome.

The coolest feature in my opinion is the standard joystick ports on the
side that "just work" with all the emulation targets. I always favored
using Sega Genesis controllers in those (rather than the rinky-dink little
"red joystick" of the time). They work oh-so-great with this rig.

The only issue is finding a monitor that doesn't have a fit over 15Khz
refresh rates. I use an NEC MultiSync with sync-on-green and all that fun
stuff. I'm still busy getting AROS running on "my Amiga" (which is
represented by an SD card with my ROM image from my A3000 and a metric
crapton of floppy images).

You basically hit a keystroke or joystick combo and you can swap floppies,
reboot, etc.. If you are into any of these, I can recommend the MiST:

* ST/STE (also on SCART 15KHz)
* Amiga 500/600/1200 ( AGA CORE BETA core)
* C64 (partially - still developed)
* Atari 8bit ( 96%)
* Collecovision
* ZX81
* Atari 2600
* ZX Spectrum with AY, aslo with DIVMMC and ESXDOS
* SEGA GENESIS
* Apple II(x)
* MSX
* AMSTRAD CPC (BETA)
* A few others, you'll want to check.

    BTW, I'm new to the list (1st post). So, I'll introduce myself. I'm
just another IT worker with a background in Unix systems. I'm 41 and I
started with HP-UX 10.x (high school) and branched out to every kind of
Unix box I could get my hands on (Yes. I'm one of those Unix zealots, but
that might be too gentle a description). I spent the 90's with SGIs (which
I still collect, I have an O2+, two Indys, and a bruzin' Tezro fully built
out). I spent the early 2k's coding for supper as a "security engineer"
(read: writing exploits which I don't much care for now) and some stints
as a Tru64 admin. On the in between gigs and contracts I've touched just
about everything (and in the last 10 years a lot of new Unix hardware).
I've professionally admin'd or coded for IRIX, Solaris, Linux, Tru64
(OSF/1 or Digital Unix for some), FreeBSD, HP-UX, UNICOS, and AIX. As a
hobbyist, I've also tinkered greatly with NetBSD (maybe my favorite),
OpenBSD, and Minix. Then of course there is the spacey or rare stuff I've
put hands on. I'm talking about things like UnixWare, Xenix, SCO, SunOS,
BSDi, DG/UX, NeXTStep/OpenStep, A/UX, and even non-Unix stuff like Sprite,
L4, QNX, HURD, BeOS, Haiku, AROS, Genode, and others. I code fairly well
in C, shell script, and TCL. I code not-as-well in AREXX, Python, Ruby,
PHP, Lua, and a few other scripting languages. I'm pleased to be on this
list, and to make your myriad acquaintances.

-Swift

PS: My spell checker needs and ex-lax after going insane over this email
full of Unix variants and ancient platforms.