MEM11A Update

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 23:15:33 CDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Guy Sotomayor <ggs at shiresoft.com> wrote:
> I’m planning on doing a 4 layer board so I can avoid having routing issues due to 3 different
> power supply voltages (yea, modern low voltage design meets 5v).  I haven’t done a 4 layer
> design before, so I’m in for a bit of learning (mainly on how to “pour” the inner layers).

In Eagle, you use the polygon tool, select the layer, and draw the
polygon for the entire board outline (or wherever you want the pour).
Then you use the "name" tool, select the polygon, and give it the name
of the net you want it connected to (e.g, GND).  Once you've done
that, any time you do a ratsnest command, Eagle will recalculate the
polygon and connect all through-holes of that net to the polygon (with
thermals by default). It doesn't recalculate as you add or move
components, so it will look wrong until you give another ratsnest
command to recalculate it.

While working on the layout, I find the display gets annoying with the
polygons shown. Rather than hiding those layers, you can type "ripup
@;" to remove the polygon routing until the next ratsnest command. I
do that because I often have a few signals going through the layers
that are otherwise mostly power planes, and I don't want to hide the
entire layers because I want to see those signals.

Of course, this also works on the top and bottom side if you want
copper pour there.