Unix System V rel 1 on pdp-11?

Alan Hightower alan at alanlee.org
Wed Mar 2 22:22:11 CST 2016

In the October'85 "UNIX System V Known Problems List", which is
basically a printing of filed bug reports against System V, it lists a
'DEC' version of these SVR releases:

SVR1.0V1 (5.0)(1.0) - Initial Release

SVR1.1V2 (5.0.5)(1.1) - Maintenance Release

SVR1.2V3 (1.2) - Maintenance Release

SVR2.0V1 (2.0) - Feature Release

SVR2.0V2 (2.0P) - Paging Release

Each bug's machine type applicability is matched against 3B20, 3B20A,
3B5, 3B2, PDP, and VAX enumerations. I see a few places where a few
VAX11 models are called out explicitly but none specifically applying to
PDP machines. So apparently there was a 16 and 32 bit version of SVR2
supporting some versions of both PDP-11 and VAX-11 machines.
Unfortunately I don't have the entire manual scanned in yet so I can't
search for specifics. But it seems rumors of a pink unicorn abound.

-Alan

In 2016-03-02 04:39, E. Groenenberg wrote:

> Hi.
>
> When looking for Unix distro's for rhe PDP-11, I did find information
> of how to make a System II using a Unix version 7 as it's base.
>
> I also came across some hits about the existence of System 5 Release 1
> for the PDP-11 (basically intended to be only for the 45 & 70).
> On www.archive.org [1] I did find both the System II and System 5 user
> manuals, and the S5 manuals does mention the 11/70.
>
> So, did it indeed exists and if so, is there someone who can help me
> maybe with an image to run under SIMH?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed
> --