Possible to Re-flash a Yamaha SCSI CDROM to fake an Apple CDROM ?

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Wed Jun 15 14:42:29 CDT 2016

> On older Apple 68k machines, having an Apple-branded CDROM means you can
> be assured it'll boot (though it's rumored that many generic SCSI CDROMs
> work for booting) and also that it'll "just work" on most of the OSs.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but over on the early SGI
and Sun and NeXT stuff you had to change the block size on the CD-ROM to
get them to work. The early Toshiba drives had solder pads that could be
split open or re-closed to change block sizes and such to get them to work
on all of the different hardware types.

--
Ethan O'Toole