thinking of the "ultimate" retro x86 PCs - what bits to seek/keep ?

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu Jun 2 18:24:17 CDT 2016

On 02/06/2016 23:13, Swift Griggs wrote:
> Heh, 2.88" disks were like unicorns. I heard all about them, but I never
> saw them for sale or people using them.

I have 2 or 3 drives, one from an IBM machine and one or two from 3Com
Netbuilders.  I have probably a dozen or so disks, mostly from 3Com
software distributions.

>  The 20M floptical in the SGI Indy is like a tooth fairy
> riding a unicorn, I've seen pictures, but I've never actually seen one (or
> the disks) in person.

I have a couple of those, too.  They're prone to suffering from dust,
though.  The biggest air intake on the front of an Indy is... guess
where.  I had trouble finding media, too, until someone from 3M let me
have some "samples".

--
Pete