Model M Key Cap Replacement WAS: Keyboards and the Model M (was Re: NEC ProSpeed 386)

Guy Dawson guy at
Wed Jun 1 16:31:46 CDT 2016

On my 1992 IBM Model M most of the key caps are removable but some are not.
Notably, wider keys such as Backspace, Enter and the big + on the numeric
pad don't have removable caps. They're like the Unicomp Wide Keys.

On 1 June 2016 at 14:52, geneb <geneb at> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 May 2016, Christopher Satterfield wrote:
> Unicomp still sells replacement caps (
>> ), however I believe they
>> have a minimum order amount (price). There are also the ever-so-hated
>> keyboard forums where you can often post a "Looking for" and find someone
>> with some spares they'll dump dirt cheap or free.
>> AFAIK, the key caps that Unicomp sells are the monolithic cap & plunger
> that their keyboards use, not the two-part keys that the real Model M
> keyboards use.  (For those not aware, the Model M key cap is separate from
> the plunger - the key cap is _literally_ just a cap on top of a smaller key
> form that's got the plunger molded in.)
> g.
> --
> Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
> - The only one of its kind.
> - Go Collimated or Go Home.
> Some people collect things for a hobby.  Geeks collect hobbies.
> ScarletDME - The red hot Data Management Environment
> A Multi-Value database for the masses, not the classes.
> - Get it _today_!

4.4 > 5.4

More information about the cctech mailing list