AT&T 3b2 vs SCSI2SD drive replacement

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 15:08:51 CDT 2016

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016, Pete Turnbull wrote:
> Not so slow that it's awful on an Indy (apart maybe from booting), but
> noticeably slower than people expect on faster machines.  The ACARD ones
> seem to be faster.  Perhaps it won't matter for older machines.

The Acard device is @250 bucks. It appears that the SCSI2SD is $50-$100
depending who who is selling. I can tell you that the ACARD device is much
faster than the Seagate Barracuda drive I was using before in my R5k Indy.
I did a test using several benchmarks. There wasn't a single metric which
was better on the old drive. The biggest change was in latency. It made a
serious difference using the machine as a desktop. It also worked
outstandingly well as a video capture destination - no dropped frames. I
use a 2.5" 128G Samsung 850 Pro SATA disk internally inside the 3.5"
device.

-Swift