PDP-11/94-E

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Wed Jun 1 11:24:59 CDT 2016

> On Jun 1, 2016, at 10:08 AM, Rod Smallwood <rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>

> On 01/06/2016 14:39, Jerry Weiss wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 1, 2016, at 5:04 AM, Rod Smallwood <rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> OK from the beginning.
>>>
>>> 1.    The 11/94 is housed in deep box located in a 42inch cabinet. It uses a KDJ11-E Quad proc. board.
>>> 2.    Two buses (Q and Uni) are housed in the one box and are linked by a special interface card.
>>> 3.    Via a pair of flat cables the CPU is linked to an I/O panel at  the rear of the cabinet.
>>>       As well as six nine way D (rs232) and one 25 way D  (rs232) sockets there is a set of dip switches to
>>>       set up the console serial line parameters. There is also a two digit power on self test progress display.
>>> 4.    On switch on the self test progress display and the LED's on the edge of the CPU card count down
>>>        from 77 to 04 (normal run mode)
>>>
>>> 5.    Dialog mode is entered as set by the dip switches on the I/O panel. Sometimes it gives the List Boot etc.
>>>        Hitting any of the choices just drops you into set up mode. Setup does work and you can save the changes.
>>> 6.   The main problems are that if you try to get it to boot it says no controller to every device except  DD
>>>       and that says no drive. Secondly I cant get it to go into ODT to look at the registers.
>>>
>>> Comments please
>>>
>>> Rod Smallwood
>>>

>>> 1. The PROM appears to be genuine DEC. KDJ11-E Monitor V 1.06
>>>
>>> 2.  I have seen it  the mode where it offers List etc but only with VT100
>>>

>> It would appear that deviced on the Unibus is inaccessible.  DD is run off the KDJ11-E serial ports.
>>
>> Have you checked the Unibus supply voltages?    KDJ11-T properly seated?
>> Is there a good battery for the TOY clock inserted?
> TOY battery did need a change. (got to go get one)
> Would that have caused the problems?

Its possible that a low or bad battery may be causing problems if the TOY chip is also was used to store a the bits of the Setup or other internal status.
You said the settings are saved, but does this mean they are retained after power has been removed?  Best to put in a new battery and rule it out.

After looking at EK-PDP94-MG-001_Sep90.pdf documents that the self diagnostics should have checked out the KTJ11—B and cpu throughly, but its not clear it actually checks anything on the Unibus side, other than though the MAP command.

Also check out http://www.pdp-11.nl <http://www.pdp-11.nl/> for info on an 11/93 which is basically Qbus only use of the same CPU board.