VT2xx simulation with SIMH

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:49:35 CDT 2016

On Jul 27, 2016 5:40 AM, "Jerome H. Fine" <jhfinedp3k at compsys.to> wrote:

> Is there any possibility of plain ordinary VT100 or VT220 emulation
> with SimH?  I have the impression that telnet can do this in some
> manner, but I have no idea exactly how.  IN  ADDITION, the
> RT-11 monitors I use have multi-terminal support, usually for
> DLV11-J serial ports, but sometimes for DZV11 and / or DHV11
> serial ports.  Can SimH handle that emulation as well?  And
> can there also be VT100 emulation for those multi-terminal
> serial ports as well?
>
> It may be possible to have a separate PC emulating a VT100
> operating via an actual physical hardware serial port.  But
> that would seem to be a huge waste of resources when it
> is possible for a single PC running SimH to support all of
> the serial ports with VT100 emulation in some manner
> although I agree that is not how SimH functions at present.

Yes you can configure SIMH to listen for incoming Telnet connections for
both the console port and for multiplexer ports, for example DHV11 ports.

I use that feature all the time using Kermit 95 as the Telnet client and
VT100 emulator on the same 64-bit Windows 10  host that is running SIMH
PDP-11 or VAX  emulation.

I don't remember the syntax for configuring this off the top of my head.
I'll have to check.