DEC H-500 Computer Lab pins and docs (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Tue Jul 19 17:43:03 CDT 2016

From: Karl-Wilhelm Wacker: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:25 AM
> Does anyone have one of the patch cables, and can they measure the diameter
> of the pin and it's length?

The width goes from about .093" near the tip to 0.1" near the
crimp.  The length of the tapered region is about 0.32".  The
rounded tip has a radius of .046" or so, and the crimp area
is about .28" long, accommodating the stranded hook-up
wire and insulation.  The wire extends beyond the crimp into
the tapered section, but I can't see in there to determine if it
is soldered or what.

> Also, is it a straight pin or like a bannana jack with springy sides?

Miniature banana jacks (not the regular ones) actually fit the holes
OK, but are horribly expensive, and also wear on the soft brass holes.
I've bought some of the stackable jumpers, and used them in a pinch,
but it isn't that great of a solution.  (It was actually on H901 lab panels,
which have similar brass grommets.)
http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/lab/lab.php

    Vince