DEC H-500 Computer Lab pins and docs (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:56:19 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Vincent Slyngstad
<v.slyngstad at frontier.com> wrote:
> From: Ethan Dicks: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:29 AM
>>
>> Does anyone have a modern source of pins that fit the socket holes in
>> the Computer Lab?  ISTR there are a few of us here who have an H-500,
>> but very few, or no, patch cables.  I think Molex pins have been tried
>> and rejected.
>
> Nope.  I've been looking for those for some time.  I didn't like the Molex
> pins, as their retention clips aren't really the right thing and scratch the
> brass rings that should interface smoothly with the proper brass taper pins.

Right.  It was your experiences I was thinking of with Molex pins.

I myself have no original pins to measure.

> I have an old scan of the teacher's guide at
> http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/pdf/

This is certainly a contemporary teacher's guide, but it's
stylistically and typographically 1960s and does not resemble the one
I'm remembering.  Was there perhaps a later DEC logic lab from 1972 to
1975 that would have had a later manual?  Perhaps that's what I'm
thinking of.  I just remember being given a workbook by a relative who
was a school teacher right about the time I was first learning logic
and BASIC.  It had problems and large blank sections for drawing your
work, among other differences.

-ethan