Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 10:58:48 CDT 2016

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, Paul Koning wrote:
> > On Jul 19, 2016, at 10:54 AM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, ethan at 757.org wrote:
> >> Hmp. Well the Cray J932SE on there is legit :-)
> > The photo of that unit is entertaining. Whoever buys it will need to setup
> > 3x 30A 220v outlets. That's going to make some licensed electrician very
> > happy.
> Or hobbyist.  It's pretty trivial, after all.  If you live in a state
> where that's not allowed, that would be an issue.

With respect, in my view, it's not trivial. As you point out, it's not
actually allowed everywhere. Unless you are some kind of local townie who
knows all the bylaws, you'd need to call your local building/permitting
office to be sure.  I've lived in several places where it was definitely
not allowed. In (al)most all places, you also need a permit to do the
work, even if the PtB let you do it as an unlicensed hobbyist.  Also, any
given rinky-dink home electrical panel box isn't always going to support
30A breakers, might be out of room, or might not magically grant you the
service-line current you may require (or in the case of 3-phase, the third
phase you are going to need). You'll also need to find a route to get the
proper sized wire in to the walls to feed the L6-30 or whatever
receptacles you need, and install the outlets. That's real physical work
in my book and may non-trivially eat your weekend.

The other thing that's not trivial is that if you make a mistake, you will
likely either: 1. Die.  2. Burn down your house. 3. Ruin some expensive
and rare gear.

To me, that all sounds like a helluva pain and != trivial. Then again, I'm
a software guy. What do I know? :-P

-Swift