PLATO and learning models (was Re: NuTek Mac comes)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 19:47:23 CDT 2016

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 7:35 PM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson at eschatologist.net> wrote:
>
> On Jul 15, 2016, at 10:03 AM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> * It had graphics, but ran on terminals!
>
> Graphics terminals were a thing that existed. It wasn’t just PLATO that used them.

Graphics terminals were quite rare in the early 1970s, at least at a cost allowing them to be installed in the hundreds, and with processing requirements low enough for that.  I remember, around the same time, the Tektronix 4010.  But that was far less flexible; it could only draw, not erase, unlike the PLATO terminals.

	paul