DOS code in CP/M? Revisited...

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Jul 15 12:38:27 CDT 2016

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Liam Proven wrote:

> Caldera didn't inherit source code for *all* the old DR products, e.g.
> many of the apps, but it looked at what it had got, and the bits that
> couldn't realistically be sold commercially any more, it open-sourced:
> DR-DOS and PC GEM, mainly.

Caldera didn't get the sources because much of it was lost when the
archive in Monterey, CA flooded.  Somewhere around here I've got an
inventory of what was lost and it's a horror show. :(

All the GEM stuff that could be found was released - including ViewMAX.

> Then it discovered that actually there was still interest in DR-DOS,
> took it back in-house again and span off that division as Lineo.

...before fully open-sourcing DR-DOS.  The kernel & command.com sources
were released and then it was canceled.  I contacted them a number of
years ago about getting the rest released and the weasel I talked to
basically had a melt down over it.  You'd have though I was asking if it
was ok if I slow-cooked one of his children.

I worked with Roger Gross in '96/'97 to get all this stuff released - it
was bitterly disappointing when Caldera pulled the rug out from under the
project.

For grins I set up a build environment today on a virtual machine - an
i7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz can build the whole distribution in 20 minutes.  It
takes 2-3 minutes to build out the disk images. :)  In 1996 it took a
200Mhz Pentium 2 hours for the same task.

g.
--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007