NuTek Mac comes

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 10:55:18 CDT 2016

On 14 July 2016 at 19:34, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016, Liam Proven wrote:
>>>
>>> meeting. I'm guessing I will never be a BMW fan or a NeXT bigot.
>>
>> Wouldn't know. I don't do cars. I like BMW bikes, though. Had an R80/7
>> with a sidecar for many years.
>

> I like BMW bikes, and even the imitations (Ural, Dnepr).

Ah yes. Now I live relatively close to Ukraine, I thought of getting
one. But the company has shut down due to the war with Russia and
they've gone up in price 10x over. :-(

> I love the Isetta, but somehow none of their cars since then appeal to me.

My mum had one. She demolished a gas station kiosk with it, then
later, drove home from work, drove into the garage... right up to the
back wall, trapping herself in the car as its door opened forwards and
it had no reverse gear. :-D She sat there for a whole day until my dad
got home from work and freed her. :-)

> I played with a NeXT briefly, before release, trying to get a printer to
> connect.  I'm not sure if I've even seen one since then.

I only had minutes on one, once, at a trade show decades back. :'(

> How many even know of a connection?

True, but does it matter?

> as phone/PDA software, it does OK.
> Giving iPhone competition.
> Trying to use it as a computer platform seems far-fetched.

Oh, it's being tried:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10726986/remix-os-android-desktop-ces-2016

Long term, I think Google should find some way to converge ChromeOS
and Android. Having 2 different Linux-based OSes seems redundant and a
waste of effort. And there's an internal-only Linux server distro too,
I hear.

But they can afford the duplication of effort.