NuTek Mac comes

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Wed Jul 13 00:39:51 CDT 2016

On Jul 12, 2016, at 1:00 PM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> That was the ROM code, right? I'm curious about that, myself. I guess that
> it can all be software emulated.

ROM is software.

> I suppose they could have created some
> kind of software mechanism to capture those calls and redirect them to a
> library which re-implemented them.

You mean like using a dispatching system based on some sort of trap mechanism to call into the OS?

(How do you think it was possible for there to be multiple OS releases for the Mac after the first Mac 128 shipped? They didn’t tell people to crack open their systems and install new ROMs…)

> I'm guessing the same would be needed
> for Quickdraw calls, but perhaps those weren't around in the 6.x days? I
> dunno.

Huh?

QuickDraw was almost literally the first code running on the Mac once it switched to 68K.

  -- Chris