word processor history -- interesting article (Evan Koblentz)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jul 8 13:42:56 CDT 2016

On 07/08/2016 11:19 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> There are or were lots of odd editors for the PC. IBM E was one --
> apparently it's quite like some mainframe tool. Came with PC-DOS and
> was... strange.

Originally, PC-DOS had only EDLIN, which, amazingly, was *less* powerful
than CP/M ED.

"E" in  PC DOS didn't come about until version 6.3 or so.  By then, MS
had their EDIT editor which was intimately tied into QuickBASIC.

Before that, when I typed "E" on my old PC systems, I get the Semware
editor--a very nice tool.  I purchased it, but rarely used it.

Another good DOS editor was VEDIT, which, IIRC, was also offered for the
IBM Displaywriter.

I still don't like *nix vi to this very day.

--Chuck