Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA gard drives?

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Thu Jan 28 19:35:10 CST 2016

 >mark at markesystems.com wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:44:44 -0500
>> From: "Jerome H. Fine" <jhfinedp3k at compsys.to>
>> Subject: Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA gard drives?
>>
>> I run Windows 98SE on a 14 year old Pentium III.  I have
>> replaced the power supply twice and all three hard disk drives.
>
>> QUESTION:  Is it even possible to run Win98SE on a current
>> Intel I7 CPU with SATA hard disk drives?  I realize that it might
>> be possible under a virtual machine, but I really want all of the
>> advantages that Win98SE provides.  One problem, of course,
>

> Almost certainly not, at least practically.  Even if you can get it to
> boot and install, it will have no idea how to handle any of the modern
> peripherals, and drivers certainly won't be available.  So sound won't
> work, the screen will be limited to VGA-16, and I'm not sure about the
> keyboard and mouse (there's a reasonable chance that the BIOS will
> emulate the legacy PS-2 devices, just as it's abstracting the details
> of the SATA disks).

Then I am really confused.  I have two older systems that
are able to run 64-bit Windows 7, an E8400 and a Q9550.
Both take SATA drives which are still available.  The mother
boards are ASUS5B.  I would guess they are both about
7 years old and I would hope that some of that old hardware
might be a bit easier to find.

I can also still boot from both system using an old DOS 3.5"
floppy media and run Ghost 7.0 with these old SATA drives,
but as far as I can understand, using the device drivers on the
floppy drive.

Is it likely that either of these two systems be able to run
Win98SE with the SATA hard drives, in one case 500 GB
each and the other system has 1 TB drives.  In that case, it
would still be possible to use current SATA drives, but the
1 GB limit on physical memory for Win98SE would need
to be patched.  By the way, the Pentium III that is 12 years
old has 768 MB of memory, so it is possible to run Win98SE
with more than 500 MB of physical memory.

As I mentioned, the only two applications I would run would
be the DOS variant of Ersatz-11 and Netscape 7.2 for e-mail
and newsgroups.

Jerome Fine