What to Do with a PS/2?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 06:55:48 CST 2016

On 27 January 2016 at 23:00, Geoffrey Oltmans <oltmansg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm... agree to disagree I guess. I generally found the Workplace shell in
> OS/2 a bit cumbersome and maddening compared to a lot of the GUI
> alternatives.

I have to agree.

Classic MacOS, particularly in MacOS 8 and 9, was perhaps the most
polished GUI I've ever used.

I also retain great fondness for Acorn's RISC OS desktop, with its
unusual and distinctive elegance:
* "maximise" only makes a window as big as it needs to be to show all
icons without scrolling
* drag-and-drop file saving -- no need for a directory browser in the dialog
* the first GUI with anti-aliasing & full-window moving & resizing (as
opposed to outlines)
* the first Icon Bar, before even the NeXT Dock, AFAIK

WPS was impressively powerful and had an impressive design, but the
actual implementation was a bit patchy and clunky. Sorry to have to
say it, but I found the Windows 9x Explorer more actual /use./ The
idea of the Start menu, implemented as a directory of directories, was
*inspired*. Shortcuts are clunky but they work -- if the
implementation had originated on NT and NTFS, it would have worked
better.