BC11A paddle boards

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:03:03 CST 2016

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Guy Sotomayor <ggs at shiresoft.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 27, 2016, at 7:48 AM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just did some pricing and 60-way cable is a touch pricey.  Through
>> cable surplus vendors, I saw one quote of $1.33/ft...
>
> I just ran some numbers (Digikey*, so YMMV) and here’s what I came
> up with...

No arguments about the Digikey pricing.  I'm not shocked it comes out
that high.  I get needing to price new parts from reliable vendors,
but as a consumer of kit items, I frequently hit my own junk boxes (I
have a lot of cable supplies) and definitely hit surplus vendors.  In
the "real world" for the last run of COMBOARDs, I got the cost down
25% by not ordering certain parts (RAM, CPU...) from
Digikey/Mouser/Allied, etc.  OK for a sunset build, but not for a new
product.

> Note, that *if* I do end up selling the paddle boards, I’ll sell just the
> boards and the connectors on the boards.  I will *not* be selling the
> cable itself (nor the cable connectors).

Sure.

> As you can see from the above, any solution is going to be expensive.
> This does not include the boards (since the price for either solution is
> the same).  I just wanted to illustrate the comparison between 60 and
> 40 pin cables.

I see the numbers from Digikey and, yeah... quite a bit for those
endpoints, no matter which configuration.

> ...this is what I’m using for my “prototype” run and will
> probably investigate more fully if/when I do a production run (of course
> if folks want just the bare boards they’re free to “do their own thing”).

If you do bare boards (no connectors), I'd probably be interested in
several sets.  If you need to supply board connectors to keep your
volume up, I'll probably still be interested but perhaps not quite as
many sets.

-ethan