NEC 8201a

Geoffrey Oltmans oltmansg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 09:24:27 CST 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:

> Anyone still messing with the Kyocera machines?
> (Radio Shack Model 100, NEC PC-8201A, and a few others were part of the
> same series made by Kyocera (Kyoto Ceramics))

I've been tinkering with a Tandy 102 lately. Recently picked up a TPDD2
drive with no cable. I have to construct one so I can use it, and then I
don't have the Utility disk, so I'm not sure how useful it will be.

The one I got needed a new battery backup battery, and I had to repair a
trace. The system would work, but the memory wouldn't retain contents. The
AA batteries leaked on the power supply trace and etched it away in a small
section, enough to sever the NiCad connection to the RAM, but leave the AA
to power the RAM once turned on.