OK, one more question about sending email TO an old VAX

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Wed Feb 24 23:13:58 CST 2016

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 8:48 PM, Richard Loken <rlloken at telus.net> wrote:
>
>    AU purchased an 8600 some time around 1985?
>    The 8600 was upgraded in place to an 8650
>    The 8650 was traded in on an 8820 for $1.2 million
>    Some time in the very late 80s a VAX 4000-300 was purchased
>    Circa 1990 the 8820 and the 4000 were traded in for two VAX 4000-500s
>    The VAX 4000-500 were upgrade twice in place finally to a 505A
>    The VAX 4000 was finally shut off around 2010
>
> So, no, only the 785 suffered the indignity of a slow death in the rain.

My brain is cooked.  I left AU in the fall of 1991, no?  At that time I was pretty sure the 8650 was still in play.  I'm sure I would have remembered the Digital Road Crew showing up with a semi-trailer full of new hardware.

What I can't recall is whether we had ditched auvax by the time I left.  I remember the 3B4000 abomination occupying the same floor space the 785 hung out in.  The same neighbourhood, at least.

The train of 3B2's that replaced the 3B4000 abomination took up space closer to and parallel to the PACX.  Closer to the tape vault.

In hindsight, the 3B4000 could not have replaced auvax.  My job was to move all the app's across, so both would have had to be running concurrently for most of the time I was there.

Are there any pictures remaining of us (me, Ross, Ronnie) nuking the 3B4K that night?  Campbell might be in there, too.  I lost my (re-)collection ages ago :-(

--lyndon