Serial analyzers (was Re: VAX 11/730 quickie)

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 12:59:59 CST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 8:52 PM, jwsmobile <jws at jwsss.com> wrote:
> For serial I use a Saleae 8 bit analyzer.
[...]
> You do have to use a level shifter with the thing because it is designed for
> 3.3v logic and needs to be adjusted accordingly.

The Saleae Logic Pro 16 (and probably the Logic Pro 8, but I haven't
checked) are designed for an operating input voltage range of +/-10V,
with an abs max rating of +/-25V. Saleae specifically states that it
can be directly connected to RS-232.

The Logic Pro models are more expensive than the other (amateur?)
models, but support analog input on all channels. I now use a Logic
Pro 16 for most of my simple logic analyzer requirements, but still
use an Agilent 16700 logic analyzer mainframe when I need more than 16
channels.