Looking for a small fast VAX development machine

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Mon Feb 22 13:23:50 CST 2016

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016, Mouse wrote:

> > I suspect even what X11 calls pseudocolor ([...]) may not be
> > supported these days.
>
> Even X doesn't really support it these days.  I ran into an issue with
> that and contacted an X Consortium person I knew from back in the day
> when the X Consortium was a thing and was told that X.org (which is
> apparently the keeper of the X flame now) doesn't really support what I
> wanted; IIRC, not really anything but TrueColor/DirectColor.

 Huh?  Good to know actually as I meant to upgrade X11 sometime across my
DECstations to something which is not outrageously obsolete and as you
probably realise that means quite an exotic set of graphics adapters.  Of
these only Bt463-based SFB+ options fall in the as you say "supported"
DirectColor category, and these are difficult to work with on some
DECstations due to (regrettably unnecessary) firmware limitations, and
impossible even on the original 5000/200 due to its addressing
constraints.

> Sic transit gloria X11.

 Oh well...  Thanks for the warning!

  Maciej