Helpful Features in a Debugger

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Feb 22 08:22:55 CST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:08:56AM -0500, Jerome H. Fine wrote:

> A number of other ideas are as follows:
>
> (a)  During a multi-step sequence, stop the sequence when the
>      stack has more then a specified number of words of increase
>      or decrease - each specified separately
> (b)  Set the address range within which the stack must remain
>       or a multi-step sequence is stopped which is similar to (a),
>       but expressed differently
> (c)  Set the address range within which the program counter
>       must remain or a multi-step sequence s stopped

I can see how all of these can be usefull. Perhaps a possibility of
stopping after a given number of jumps?

> Also possible to be checked are specified values that registers
> have, or don't have, which stop a multi-step sequence.  Checks
> on memory locations can also be included.

Watching memory locations for changes or agains boolean expressions is
very useful.

> And a record of which instructions were executed by saving
> the program counter addresses in a circular buffer allows the
> user to check for unexpected execution of certain parts of
> the code.

A collegue used a similar tool that recorded _everything_ that happened
in a CPU under testing. So he could step back and forth in program time
and inspect registers and memory. Very useful and very expensive
apparently.

> All suggestions and comments are much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

I allways use "run to" which is just a temporary breakpoint. Useful and
probably easy to implement.

/P