Any PDP-7 Expertise?

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 04:51:19 CST 2016

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> I've just been given a scan of the assembly listing for PDP-7 Unix
> which includes the kernel and some user-mode programs. The scans are
> at http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/McIlroy_v0/
> as the files 0*.pdf.

Oh.

A few years ago I corresponded with DMR about precisely this project.
He mentioned having those listings; we pondered whether it would be
practical to get them machine-readable and try to get them loaded and
booting on one of my pdp-15s to recreate an operational 18-bit Unix...
but ultimately decided it was impractical at the time.

And from 2007...

"Post by Dennis Ritchie
Was there a PDP-9 [Unix] port? Mr. Ritchie, sir?
Yes, Ken moved the -7 system to both the PDP-9 and PDP-15
just to try them out. Minimal effort, just some new drivers, no
effort to take advantage of extra features on either. Total time
they actually ran was probably measured in hours or a few
days at most. One of the machines ran a step-and-repeat
camera for making IC masks.
And all that software is presumably long gone along with the PDP-7 version.
Oh, well."

Mike

http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'