PCS Cadmus/QU68000 systems

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Tue Feb 16 23:59:20 CST 2016

> Hi,
>
> Is anyone interested in PCS Cadmus/QU68000 systems? We at Hack42 have no
> idea what to do with them. We need to downsize and these take up a
> significant amount of our space.
>
> See http://dev.ramdyne.nl/IMG_2750.JPG for photograph of the stack.
>
> If you know other people who are interested in beasts like these, please
> pass this information on.
> --
> Andreas

Looks like interesting machinery from a German manufacturer!

There is a short blurb about them on de:wp (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmus_Workstations) saying the PCS QU68000 were based on (who'd have guessed...) a 68000 processor on a QBus (!) while the later models sold under the CADMUS trademark held 68020/030 and, from 1985 on, MIPS RISC processors. They ran MUNIX, a V7 UNIX derivate, with some quite sophisticated cluster integration (network boot, "Newcastle connection" common superroot namespace, networked block devices) enabled by a board called the Intelligent Communications Controller.
The outfit even still seems to stick around here (https://www.pcs.com/en/company/history/the-history-of-pcs/), albeit manufacturing access/time registration/industrial data terminals nowadays.

As usual, if somebody from Germany conducts an operation on those and doesn't know where to put all of them, I'm willing to help out with collecting and re-homing. (I may also have an opportunity to collect a couple of them in the Netherlands if there are any left by/can be held onto until end of May 2016. I'd wish for one of each significantly different type but this is not a reservation but a "last resort" deal if they'd go to trash otherwise. Basically, if anyone else comes along offering a good home for them, I'm happy to stand back.)

TIA,

Arno