Real tape drive densities [was RE: Oregon Pascal tape found]

Rich Alderson RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Wed Feb 10 17:37:33 CST 2016

From: Curious Marc
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 12:05 PM

Top-posting,

>>> http://computermuseum.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pics/hp1000/hp7970_2.jpg

>>> And it is a *9* track tape, I know for sure.

>> Actually, what you have is a *dual-density* tape drive, an HP7970E.  It
>> will write 9-track tapes at 800bpi, or 7-track tapes at 200, 556, or 800.

> Nice unit! Drool. Looks like this is a NRZI triple density tape, so
> 7970A or B. The later 7970E would have a 1600 PE density switch too. I
> have an E, but not with the multiple density or 7 track options
> unfortunately. Thanks for the link to the series overview manual Rich.

Note that Christian Corti stated that his drive is capable of 9-track
operation.  That's an E.  (Apparently that will also write 9-track PE at
1600bpi, but it will write 9-track NRZI at 800bpi).

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98134

mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/