11/73 into 11/03 chassis?

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Mon Feb 8 19:45:04 CST 2016

I top post only once or twice a year.  This is the exception since my reply
does not explicitly address the question.

An internal built-in power supply is just the ordinary standard power
supply which provides power to the board on which the CPU is
located.

I have managed to avoid many of the problems associated with power
supplies by using the built-in power supply only for the BA23 boards,
tape drives and, if any, floppy drives.

Note that when I use a TK70 tape drive in a BA23 box, it functions
correctly ONLY when connected to the built-in power supply.

Specifically, I always use a SEPARATE PC power supply for the hard
disk drives.  This is probably essential when I use THREE Hitachi ESDI
hard disk drives since their power requirements, when added to the
rest of the load, really challenge the BA23 box built-in power supply.
But I believe it is probably best even when just an RD51 is used
although the load from a single RD51 is probably OK to run using the
built-in power supply of the BA23.

In addition, the Hitachi ESDI hard drives also require an external fan
to keep them at a reasonable temperature.  The fans are also powered
by the separate PC power supply.

This procedure also works well with other systems, so I recommend
it to reduce the load and keep internal built-in power supplies from
being overloaded on any system, especially when there is more than
one hard drive.

Jerome Fine