386 upgrade board

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Feb 7 13:53:03 CST 2016

On Sun, 7 Feb 2016, Joe Giliberti wrote:
> Greetings!
> I have a Televideo luggable that I have been playing with. Its a 10MHz 286
> with a meg of RAM, 2 360k drives and four expansion slots. I've been trying
> to figure out how capable I can make this machine for the hell of it. Did
> anyone make an upgrade kit to go from a 286 to a 386? It would be
> interesting to get this thing going with that, a Hard Card and an ethernet
> card, somewhat capable of doing some modern tasks.

Yes, there were several.
386SX is the simplest, and can be done with a daughterboard for the
processor, but there was at least one to full-on 386DX 16bit ISA card,
although it also had RAM, etc. on it.

There was even an 8-bit ISA one!  I don't understand how that could work,
unless it just used the 5160/5160 only for I/O?

PC-Elevator was one brand.

With the 286, you could run Windows 3.00, but I don't know how well the
web browser could deal with the modern crap and bloat on the interweb.

I think that it woulod be more fun to go the other way, with something
like Blue Thunder, to use a Z80 and CP/M.