BA23 fan noise

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Feb 1 10:22:21 CST 2016

In general with fans, there's two things that make them loud. 1 is the
size. All you can do about that is to get a smaller fan that can turn more
slowly. 2nd is some kind of lube problem. Sometimes you can fix these with
proper lubrication. Others, you have to replace the fan.

You really want to move the same amount of air through the system. Smaller
fans have to spin faster to move the same volume of air through the system,
and will be much louder. Larger fans can spin more slowly, while still
supplying the right amount of air.

With the BA23 cabinet, your options may be limited as to what you can do
w/o modifications to sheet metal to accommodate larger fans.

Less air flow is risky business for this old gear that has fewer heat sinks
on the parts, relying on the air flow to carry the heat away.

Warner