IBM XT 5160 Keyboard issues

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 16:19:47 CST 2016

On 12/17/2016 11:14 PM, Devin wrote:
> The machine starts up and runs its memory test, however it gives a 301
> error.

Anything else alongside the 301? If it's a stuck key error then I think the
firmware spits out the scancode of the offending key (although maybe that
was only a 5170 and later thing?). Just a 301 on its own would indicate
something more fundamental.

Check the keyboard cable and connector carefully - I've seen plenty of
problems with DIN-type connectors on things, and I know that at least one
of my XT keyboards had damage where the cable goes into the back of the
keyboard. It may be worth (carefully) taking the keyboard apart to check
for obvious problems inside, and to check continuity on the keyboard cable
wires (I think it's a 4-wire setup - power, ground, clock and data -
although it uses a 5 pin connector with one pin unused)

Check for power at the keyboard socket on the motherboard (I don't have the
pinouts handy, but I'm sure that google does :-)  and I believe there's a
PCB-mounted fuse on the system board near to the socket which is worth a look.

cheers

Jules