ARPAnet maps

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Tue Dec 13 18:59:09 CST 2016

A friend posted an interesting map of the network as it grew (his
interest was the 1981 map) of Arpanet interconnects.  They range from
the beginning to at least that map.  I can't share that one both because
it's on Facebook, and because it was low quality having been bastardized
by FB and I couldn't find it online.

There are a huge number indexed on google if you care to look.  Just put
in "arpanet logical map" to get huge numbers of maps.  I don't know if
anyone has made an index, but with the number there are it would be an
interesting exercise to do a chronological and map graph index of the
information.

Anyway one map caught my eye, showing a "MICRO810" at UCSD.  I am hoping
maybe it was a Microdata 810, but have no way of looking it up.  The box
immediately above is B6700, so it may be doing some sort of front end
for that system.  The node names were said to be IMP names on one of the
maps I found, and one would hope that IMP's had all the frontend support
to go to most mainframes.

thanks
Jim

January 1975 map on sympatico.ca n.rieck account maybe?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/vms_vs_unix.html

image link if you can get it to work

https://public.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y3pO0l02Dnf4e9HK-IeRoPuXuAFGKavc7GL2tCV2JB5PL2fWaI309VKcsmBPOOdlsJ5j6aMur2PVOEx48PG_ZYCvZDfp6UrabPrMqfpSvDXq3HMD3Q_fvxajgJNtGLfiqD5RxfLu9D8bln0mvy2XbBz4A/1975_01_arpanet_map.gif?rdrts=156300715