Intel C1101A

Brad H vintagecomputer at bettercomputing.net
Tue Dec 6 11:34:51 CST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of jim stephens
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 9:28 AM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: Intel C1101A

On 12/6/2016 8:46 AM, Brad H wrote:
> I kind of thought that might be a possibility.  I might just let
> things lie for a while.. I was concerned about stock disappearing,
> didn't think about price tripling.  Not sure I want to spend $1400 for
> 1K of RAM on a clone.:)

Most of these guys will deal.  I don't know if you have approached them with a story or with an offer, but you can usually get them to make a deal.  If you have details on it, contact me and I'll send you my friend's contact info and see if he can get you something if your own efforts fail.  I've known him now for 40 years and find him to be one of the "good guys".

I spent a lot of time in his office when the fax machine would fire 2 or
3 times a minute and have a pile of 100 or 200 pages of wants or haves backed up he's have to look at.  Wading thru that and making money is why they are so weird in pricing and dealing.

He would always treat me fair though when I had something as he knew my needs weren't for a deal that could ultimately yield a huge payback, and I'd be restoring some old equipment.  Some don't care just want a buck.

You need to realize most people who will buy schlock parts will most likely be repairing a board for some alphabet agency or entity who probably is having to pay $1000 or $2000 / board to get back in business, with ancient unobtaininum parts on board.  There is a lot of this going on that isn't out there unless you are in the business, or unless you see the $5000 odd board for the old DEC box and wonder why the hell they are so expensive.

I've had some people with really high prices respond in the last year to reasonable offers for some rare stuff when I tell them what I plan to do with it.
>Thanks
>jim

Thanks Jim.. I did try some negotiation with the three suppliers I contacted but no flex at all.  I'm suspecting they're all going to the same source and said source has decided to maintain the price where it is.

Lesson here is if you're buying these things at all, get em all at once. :)

I don't *have* to have C1101A -- almost all Mark-8s I've seen were done with P1101A, and the only diff with C1101A is the encapsulation as far as I know.. I just went with C1101A because it was more certain they'd be over a certain age, and now that I have a bunch it'd be nice to keep it consistent.  I don't think I even have to build out to a full 1K to have a running Mark-8.. but it'd be nice.