HP1631D Logic Analyzer..Software???

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 13:58:08 CST 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The HP1630 has HPIL as standard. IIRC you can configure it to either be
> remote-controlled over HPIB (when it will use HPIL for mass storage devices
> like this tape drive) or vice versa.
>
> But I seem to remember that there were several firmware revisions for
> these logic analysers and that some feautres were added later. You
> may need to 'acquire' a dump of the later ROMs...

Search for 1630 on http://www.ko4bb.com/ and there is a  "HP 1630A D
1631A D Logic Analyzer EPROM 14-Oct-1985-HP 1630A-D 1631A-D ROMs.zip"
file with these EPROM images, which is supposed to be the latest
version listed in the service manual for the 1630A, 1630D, 1631A,
1631D (but not compatible with the 1630G):

01630-80054
01630-80055
01630-80056
01630-80057
01630-80058
01630-80059
01630-80060
01630-80061

That version should have HP-IB mass storage device support instead of
HP-IL. Those are 16KB 27128 EPROM images. As far as I can tell from
the service manuals some of the early versions of the 1630 CPU boards
had 8KB 2764 EPROMs. I'm not sure if you could simply replace 2764
EPROMs on an early CPU with 27128 EPROMs. I don't know how the 1 of 8
chip enable decoding would work with both 8KB and 16KB parts.

Just because I already have more projects than time I am picking up a
1630D out of curiosity. From its serial number it might have an early
CPU board. When it arrives I'll have to see if it has 8KB EPROMs and
HP-IL vs HP-IB mass storage support and if it can be upgraded to the
16KB EPROM firmware.