Winchester-style coax connectors?

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu Dec 1 16:36:14 CST 2016

On 12/1/2016 11:51 AM, Josh Dersch wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> On Dec 1, 2016, at 2:27 PM, Josh Dersch <derschjo at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The Imlac uses a Winchester connector (14 position) for the display and
>>> while they're not as common these days the parts can still be found so I
>>> thought I was in the clear, but what I failed to notice is that three of
>>> the "pins" (for the X, Y and Blank signals) are actually tiny coaxial
>>> connectors that fit within the Winchester housing (i.e. they're the same
>>> diameter as a Winchester pin).
>> What is a "Winchester connector"?  Do you mean a D-sub connector, i.e.,
>> with a trapezoidal shell such as you find on terminal or VGA connectors?
>> Those come in a number of widths, with names like DE (for the VGA size), or
>> DB (the 25 pin classic RS-232), and so forth.  Often, incorrectly, all are
>> called DB.
>>
>> Those shells have a variety of choices for pins.  They may be two rows of
>> pins (e.g., DB-25), or 3 rows (e.g., DE-15).  You may also find ones that
>> have just miniature coax inserts, or a mix of coax and plain pins.  The
>> coax inserts are generally larger, such that it takes up much of the height
>> of the connector.  I haven't seen coax pins that are the same diameter as
>> plain signal pins, that's rather hard to imagine especially for something
>> as old as an Imlac.  Examples of mixed pin D-sub connectors are the Sun
>> video monitor connectors, with RGB on coax.
>>
>>          paul
>>

> Like one of these bad-boys, only with 14 connectors rather than 34:
>
> http://cables24.com/en/others/cable-v-35/1470-V-35-m34-Winchester-34pin-male-connector
>
> Sorry for not being more specific.  The coax connectors in a 13W3 connector
> (for example) are much larger than what I need.
>
> - Josh
Try Electro Mavin.  He's been buying and squirreling away connectors for
40 or 50 years.  I don't know any other vendor with as much stock as he has.

You may need to bull  your way thru to him or his daughter or other
person in the know for connectors, but he is your best shot.

http://www.mavin.com/

I've seen him pay serious money for connectors at various swap meets
around LA and in other transactions where connectors were up for grabs.

thanks
jim