Calling all typographers

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Apr 28 12:12:31 CDT 2016

On 04/28/2016 11:05 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>> On Apr 28, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Brian L. Stuart <blstuart at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 4/28/16, Rod Smallwood <rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Every fancy curve there is but not a straight
>>> forward line and circle method of  creating lower case
>>> characters
>> I'm not sure if you count it as straightforward, but I'd
>> suggest METAFONT.  Straight lines are certainly straightforward.
>> Circles are a little more fun, but once you get the hang
>> of the math, most any curve is pretty easy to create.
> Metafont has a fatal defect: it only generates bitmap fonts.  Those have been obsolete for decades (except, occasionally, on display devices).

Well, Metafont itself, is designed for this purpose.  But, there are some other programs that can convert the font definition to vector form, for use with scalable PostScript and PDF formats, for example.  One of them is Metapost, which is a derivative of Metafont.

Google pulls up a vast number of articles on metafont to
vector, for instance.

Jon