AlphaStation 200 NVRAM Problem

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Sat Apr 23 12:57:22 CDT 2016

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016, Robert Jarratt wrote:

> Well! I took out the DROM and switched it on again. The machine bleeped at
> me, but then it gave me a console and I was able to boot VMS!

 I'm glad that it worked, this will certainly make further diagnostics
easier, and you have a usable machine anyway.

> I will have to see if the NVRAM is now populated and whether it will
> continue to work with the DROM installed.

 First: to double-check, how did you know it was a NVRAM failure, did LEDs
show DC (xxox xxoo)?

 Second: it may also be that DROM itself is faulty, a bit may have flipped
for example; NB this is UV EPROM, so things happen.  Maybe someone can
share a known-good image.

> Thanks!

 You are welcome!

  Maciej