bit slice chips (was Re: Harris H800 Computer)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Apr 22 21:54:10 CDT 2016

Eric Smith mentioned:
> [2901 A, B, and C, CMOS versions]
> [2903 and 29203]
> [Intel 3001 and 3002]
> [MMI 5701/6701]
> [Motorola MC10800]

I'd add the Texas Instruments SN74S481, SN54LS481 and SN74LS481 TTL 4
bit slices. The Schottky version had a 90ns clock cycle and the low
power versions 120ns. These were 48 pins chips and didn't have an
internal register bank like the 2901. The idea was that you implemented
a memory to memory architecture like the TMS9900.

The TI SBP0400A and SBP0401A were I2L 4 bit slices. The 400 had an
internal pipeline register while the 401 was designed for external
pipelining. ALU operations took 240ns at 200mW. It had an 8 register
bank besides the working register.

All I know about these is what I read in "The Bipolar Micromputer
Components Data Book", December 1977 edition. I have no idea if these
chips were actually shipped or if they were used in any product.

-- Jecel