High performance coprocessor boards of the 80s and 90s - was Re: SGI ONYX

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:01:22 CDT 2016

On 04/20/2016 08:57 AM, Toby Thain wrote:
> Also going to mention the BBC Tube coprocessor here. Which had an ARM
> version, iirc.

Yes, from Acorn: ARM, 32016, 6502, 65C102, Z80, 80186 and 80286.

Torch did a couple of different Z80 boards too, and a couple of different
Z80/68000 combo boards.

Casper made a 68000 board.

PEDL made a Z80 board.

I can't think of any other commercial ones from back in the day* off the
top of my head; Torch also made an 8088 board, but that hung off the 1MHz
bus connector rather than the Tube. Cumana made a 68008 board but that one
interfaced directly with the native 6502 CPU socket.

* A few people have made modern or homebrew boards with other CPUs on them.

cheers

Jules