Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 20:52:53 CDT 2016

Ok, so there's an annular groove cut mid-way along the length of the shaft.
That might well be for retention of lubricant. You'll have to forgive my
assumptions about low RPM operation - I took these to be the typical
'Muffin' type fans, that run about 600 RPM.

This is a long-shot, but does the groove in the shaft communicate with a
passage in the bearing, by any chance? Just wondering if there's a wicking
type oiling system in the design, as seen in larger electric motors. If
there's no passage for lube, then I'd stick with the suggestion to use a
light-bodied grease like Phil's and make sure to pack the groove full of
it. But again, there's no harm in using a medium-body motor oil, like 30W
or 10W-40. It's not as if it's going to be in 24/7/365 service, eh?

What's the diameter of the shaft, btw? 1/4" or less? Got any pics of the
parts?