Getting an ibm as/400

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:52:12 CDT 2016

I agree little point in imaging.

First step: password guess; try logging in to account QSECOFR password
QSECOFR; you may luck out and find it is the default.

If that fails do a DST IPL (Google it) and use the DST QSECOFR account (NOT
the same as the system QSECOFR account!) to reset the system QSECOFR
password. You may luck out and find that even if they've changed the system
QSECOFR password from the default, the DST QSECOFR still works.

If that fails you're down to a partial reinstall - 'slipping the LIC' as
Benjamin described.

There IS a way of breaking into a System/36 by patching specific sectors
and offsets on the disk; I have it written down somewhere. But I know of no
analogous procedure for AS/400.

Mike
On Apr 14, 2016 10:06 AM, "Benjamin Huntsman" <